Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Last days in the B of A...

As my time in Buenos Aires draws to a close, I find myself encountering new people and locations that I wish I had spent my last four months hanging out with. It's terribly ironic: my first times at La Bomba del Tiempo and Bahrein were less than a month ago, and both are things that I should have been doing every week the whole time I was here. La Bomba del Tiempo, for those who don't know, is a hand percussion section with a conductor that play crazy beats for an audience for about 3 hours straight. Every week they have different guest musicians who play (or try to play) along with the percussionists, usually with some success. The crowd it draws is also the best of Buenos Aires youth, from all backgrounds but all with a common interest in dancing and having a good time.
Bahrein is a club with a weekly Drum&Bass called 160+ (e.g., Beats Per Minute--drum&bass is usually 160-175 bpm) that starts around midnite and goes until after the sun comes up. The Djs are consistently good, and the speakers and light show add many levels. Tonight I'm going to Hype for the first time, another weekly techno music event. 
I spent a lot of time with the fine folks from my study abroad program (all quite cool--rest assured) but now that they're mostly out and about Latin America traveling post-school, I've been forced to meet Argentines and locals, which has been great. 
If I had known four months ago what I know today, I certainly would have done things differently. Nevertheless I'm glad to be enjoying my last days here in style....

No comments:

Post a Comment