Tuesday, September 8, 2009

class

Classes.
In picking my classes, I generally stuck to topics of interest and things related to my area of study, namely development studies. I'm taking a Spanish class that meets twice a week, and a tango class that includes both a two-hour dance class and two hours of history, theory and cultural study. Then I'm taking a Latin American history class and an economic history of Argentina, and finally, International Relations of Latin America. 
Despite the fact that all the classes are in Spanish (my first time taking classes in Spanish), it struck me early on how easy all the classes were. I'm taking 22 equivalent units, and all together they give me less homework than any one class at Berkeley. Piece of cake. However, I truly enjoy the range of teaching styles of my different classes. Several classes stick to traditional lecture-style pedagogy, and my tango class is obviously in a category of its own--two hours of dancing with the good-lookin' international crowd (props, people)--but the class that thus far has stood out is my international relations class.
First of all, the Argentine students in my international relations class constantly surprise me with how much they know about the history and politics of their continent; when I'm struggling with the questions they're already doling out accurate analyses of the motives and realities of (South) American politics. Today truly highlighted this fact when, in a break from the norm, our class was divided into groups to represent different countries of UNASUR (Union of Nations of South America) in a roleplay. Different groups were supposed to draft statements from their respective countries to a hypothetical fly-over of a US plane under Colombian control over Ecuadoran airspace, and I was astounded by the eloquency and familiarity with the international politics that the students of the class had in their understanding and speeches.
Furthermore, it inspired me to learn as much as possible about all the topics involved.
more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment